Monday, September 15, 2008

I Heart New York

I just returned home from a fun- and business-filled weekend in New York and all I can say is “Wow!” No matter how many times I have visited the Big Apple, I am always in awe of the hugeness (is that a word?) of everything. From the numbers of people on the streets to the giant portions of food in the restaurants, everything in New York is done in a very big way.

On Friday I was the “guest fairy” at a Fairy Gathering held at Barnes & Noble on Broadway. It was attended by lots of little “fairies in training”. Some wore wings and sparkly dresses, while others wore mismatched socks in honor of The Sock Fairy. There were quite a few little fairies with tangled hair, however I don’t think this was intentional. I don’t think they realized that they were the spitting image of The Knot Fairy. It does, however, prove that “art imitates life.”

On Saturday, the Brooklyn Public Library hosted an author’s reception where I was thrilled to meet Marty Markowitz, the president of Brooklyn Borough. What a treat! He is like everyone’s Uncle Marty.

The Brooklyn Book Festival was the highlight of the weekend. Twenty thousand or so enthusiastic book buyers braved the heat and humidity to see what was new in the literary world. This is one of my favorite book fairs, drawing people from all over the east coast.
The best news for me was that fairies are still very popular! It was really heartwarming to hear the words that so many authors long to hear: “I loved your first book. Now I must have the second one.”

I arrived home tired, yet happy. Thank you, New Yorkers, for a wonderful weekend.

No comments: