Monday, June 1, 2009

How Many Years Does It Take To Become An Overnight Success?


It has been an exciting month for The Sock Fairy. The book has received a gold medal in the Indie Excellence Book Awards, a silver medal in the Benjamin Franklin Book Awards, and was a finalist in the ForeWord Magazine Book-of-the-Year Awards.

Interestingly, while I was attending Book Expo America in New York last weekend, a fellow author told me how "lucky" I am to have a new book receive so much attention. It sounded as if he was implying that I wrote the book one day and received the awards the next day. Oh, if only that were true! The reality is that nothing could be further from the truth. I have been hard at work on my fairy series for about 4 years - writing, re-writing and re-re-writing. Then there is work of planning the illustrations, working with the graphic designer, writing the songs for the accompanying CDs, recording the CDs. Next, there is the planning and implementing of the marketing, the promotions, the school visits, the book fairs, the internet connections...

Yes, it is really a wonderful feeling to be noticed in a vast sea of books. I am so, so grateful for the awards my books have won (fourteen so far). I have learned that the harder you work, the luckier you will appear to be. I just hope all budding writers realize that the work has to come first.

http://bestfairybooks.com

No comments: