Saturday, February 14, 2009

I Don't Want To Be A Mummy


I’ve always been fascinated with the history of ancient Egypt. I have marveled at the early technology involved in the building of the pyramids and aqueducts. I have laughed to myself as I picture the early authors writing novels on stone tablets. And I have always been especially fascinated with the mummies, wrapped with tender loving care and sent forward into the future.

I’ve often said that if I could go back to college and do it all over again, there’s no doubt that I would study archeology. I can hardly imagine the thrill and excitement of uncovering something (or someone) that has been untouched for thousands of years, just waiting for little old me to make the discovery.

I have always joked about my desire to be buried in a fancy tomb surrounded by all of my favorite perfume bottles. Also a pile of unread books, the manuscript I’m working on for my next fairy book, and some cookies that contain lots of preservatives (to keep them fresh for our “trip”). I have also planned to take as much money with me as my heirs are willing to part with – just in case I need to purchase something at the other end.

Today I was reading with fascination an online article describing another big discovery of mummies in Egypt. I have to admit, it made the hairs on my arms tingle. However, the article also reviewed other recent finds, including a stash of ancient gold coins and other artifacts that were found in the remains of a collapsed building under what is now a parking lot. That’s when it hit me that I don’t want to be a mummy after all. Thousands of years under a parking lot? Not for me. And, have you seen what a mummy looks like after all that time without even one manicure? And such dry skin! The article states that some mummies don’t even arrive in this millennium with all of their body parts intact. Nope, there’s nothing in that department I can part with.

So, I think I’ll live this life to the fullest, enjoy what I have now, look at my favorite perfume bottles everyday, take care of my body parts and continue to write fairy books that make children smile. That’s really what it’s all about.

Bobbie Hinman
www.bestfairybooks.com

No comments: