Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Why Didn't I Think of That?

Why Didn't I Think of That?


As I return home from the Decatur Book Festival, I keep thinking of the wonderful people of Decatur, Georgia and their display of true Southern Hospitality. The event was extremely well planned and well attended, drawing families from all over the South. The Knot Fairy and The Sock Fairy were very well received by the little fairy lovers and their parents.

It was while speaking with the many book- and fairy-loving people that I had a true "Aha! Moment". So many people wanted to know where my story ideas come from. The truth is that my ideas come from the simple, everyday situations that people all over the world face on a daily basis. At least a dozen people asked me the same question: "Why didn't I think of that?" That's when I had my Moment. Stories are everywhere!

The stories in my books reveal the mysteries behind tangled hair and missing socks. Both ideas came from previous Aha! Moments. The Knot Fairy was born while I was trying to comb the tangles from my granddaughter's hair. The Sock Fairy came to life while I was searching for my husband's missing tennis sock. Stories are everywhere! Adults often get caught up in everyday happenings to realize this, however just ask a group of children for story ideas and watch their young, crystal clear imaginations start rolling in full gear. When I visit schools, I love to ask the children to think of other fairies that we can blame for life's mysterious happenings. The children have come up with such wonderful characters as The Lunchbox Fairy, The Snow Fairy, The Missing Earring Fairy, The UPS Fairy (with his tiny brown truck), The Missing Toy Fairy and the Messy Desk Fairy.

Yes, my friends, stories are everywhere. Just open your eyes and your imaginations and try to think like a child. Before you know it, someone will be saying to you - "Why didn't I think of that?"

No comments: