Sunday, June 21, 2009

A Day In The Life Of An Author - Bah, Humbug!


You've heard of writer's block? Have you ever heard of total mind block? That's what I have. I'm in the early stages of creating the character for my next fairy book and right now I think my grey matter has turned to sludge. The story is finished, and actually it's mighty good. That was the easy part. The challenge is to create the actual appearance of another mischievous fairy. He must have just the right look, just the right clothes and just the right attitude. I also must decide exactly what he should be doing on the cover. (Should he be standing, sitting, riding a motorbike, taking a bath?) I want this book to be completely irresistable to all who come into it's path. Usually if I go to bed thinking about a problem, I will wake up with the answer. Not so this time. Maybe my subconscious mind is on summer break.

What do YOU do when your creativity seems to completely shut down? For me, I think I'll do something simple and mindless for the day. I think I just found another excuse to go shopping.

Bobbie Hinman
http://bestfairybooks.com

1 comment:

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I usually resort to music, which gets my emotions churning!

BTW - all of your blog posts for the past month suddenly appeared in my dashboard one hour ago. Same thing just occurred with another Blogger. Wonder if there's been a glitch...?

L. Diane Wolfe
www.circleoffriendsbooks.blogspot.com
www.spunkonastick.net
www.thecircleoffriends.net